There may still be snow on the ground, but you can feel it in the air…. Spring is coming! And with Spring comes spring cleaning and the time for many to be readying and staging their homes to join the market. Even in our ‘frothy’ market, making a positive first impression is very important – whether in photos or with buyers who are looking at the home virtually or in-person.
As strong Listing Agents, with a combined 42 years of real estate experience, we have some helpful hints for staging and prepping your listing for sale:
- Paint! It fixes a wide variety of ills, both inside and out. Starting with the front door and trim. While the Realtor is unlocking the door, guess what the buyer is doing? You bet, checking out the exterior, so it’s a good place to start sprucing up because as the saying goes…. ”You never get a second chance to make a first impression.”
- Stage your home…. starting with the outdoors. Put some colorful plants in pots on the front porch or back patio. How about a spring wreath on the front door? The objective is to create an inviting entrance. Indoors… clean, clean, clean!
- Spring cleanup. Mow your lawn! Spread fresh mulch. Blow the debris off the driveway and put the cars in the garage. If you don’t have the time to take care of this yourself, get on the schedule of a professional to do a spring cleanup of the yard. They book up fast. Selling land? Make sure the access is mowed and there is an indicator of the intended building site.
- Know the trends. What colors are in this year? How about creating a home office space in a nook or corner? With so many people working from home these days, you may find creating a home office space is the perfect thing for that under-used closet. There’s even a name for it: a Cloffice! Check out more trends here.
- Tidy up. Set the table, fold the towels and linens in the closets so that they are all going in the same direction and color-coordinated. Speaking of closets, clean them out to display how much storage there is. Put out fresh flowers or a colorful bowl of fruit. Put crisp, clean bed covers on all the beds.
- Remove the clutter! Nothing distracts a buyer more than personal photos, too many knick-knacks, too many appliances on the counter, too many magnets on the refrigerator. Some small pieces of furniture can even be removed to create a more spacious interior. Pick up unnecessary throw rugs to display those beautiful wood floors.
- Light! Open ALL the shades, make sure all lightbulbs are working. The first thing we do when we show a house is to turn on all the lights – so make sure they are sparkling clean. Wash the windows to show off that view.
Are you exhausted yet just thinking of all there is to do? It is a lot of work to prepare your home for sale, but the rewards of this prep and staging will be worth it.